Student Data Privacy
Protecting student data is a priority for Ohio Community School Districts. Student data is protected through privacy policies, Illinois school laws, network security and staff training.
Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA)
Effective July 1, 2021, Illinois school districts are required by the Student Online Personal Protection Act (SOPPA) to provide guarantees that student data is protected when used by educational technology companies, and that data is used for educationally beneficial purposes only (105 ILCS 85).
Data Privacy Officer
Jennifer Hamilton will serve as District #505 data privacy officer.
- Annually post a list of all operators of online services or applications utilized by the district.
- Annually post all data elements that the school collects, maintains, or discloses to any entity. This information must also explain how the school uses the data, and to whom and why it discloses the data.
- Post contracts for each operator within 10 days of signing.
- Annually post subcontractors for each operator.
- Post the process for how parents can exercise their rights to inspect, review, and correct information maintained by the school, operator, or ISBE.
- Post data breaches within 10 days and notify parents within 30 days.
- Create a policy for who can sign contracts with operators.
- Designate a privacy officer to ensure compliance
- Maintain reasonable security procedures and practices. Agreements with vendors in which information is shared must include a provision that the vendor maintains reasonable security procedures and practices.
Ohio High School Data Privacy Agreements (DPA)
Ohio High School uses the Student Data Privacy Consortium (SDPC) to manage all of its DPA’s. The SDPC Resource Registry has been developed to provide a framework for identifying solutions that have an on-the-ground and real-world impact on student data privacy enabling schools, districts, state, and vendors to find resources, adapt them to their unique context and implement needed protections. The Student Data Privacy Consortium (SDPC) is a unique collaborative of schools, districts, regions, territories and state agencies, policymakers, trade organizations, and marketplace providers addressing real-world adaptable, and implementable solutions to growing data privacy concerns. The Consortium also leverages work done by numerous partner organizations but focuses on issues being faced by “on-the-ground” practitioners. You can find more info here.
State and Federal Data Security Policies
Additional Links and Information
Looking for Something?
Use the search box below to search the entire website for information
about Ohio Grade School (#17) and Ohio High School (#505).
Ohio Community Schools
"Where People Care"
PO BOX 478
103 Memorial St.
Ohio, IL 61349
P : 815-376-4414
F : 815-376-2102